Need a quick and easy idea to add some oomph! to your next birthday party?
Whether you prefer factual trivia (How many birthdays happen every day?) or opinion-based trivia (What do you think the Birthday Girl's superpower is?), keep reading to learn about:
- Why trivia is a great fit for ANY birthday party
- Fun ways to use trivia in your next celebration
- Helpful tips for using birthday trivia on Zoom Calls
- How to create birthday trivia questions
5 Reasons Trivia is Fun at any Birthday Party
Sure, it's great to know what's "in" this season, but there are many reasons to incorporate trivia into your party. Trivia is:
No special equipment is required and there’s no need to explain the rules of the game. All you need to do is unveil the questions and provide a place for people to write their answers.
Whether the party guests are aged 12, 22 or 82, EVERYONE can play.
You get to choose the type of questions you ask and how many. You can provide multiple-choice answers or ask that people submit their best guesses.
Birthday trivia gets guests mixing and mingling. This can be especially helpful at a celebration where the guest list is made up of a variety of cliques (the work friends, neighbors, people they grew up with, etc.). Asking an unfamiliar a person for their take on a trivia question (“What do you think the birthday’s person superpower is?”) is much easier than trying to make small talk about the weather.
5. Negligible cost
Unlike the year my son wanted to have a “Hunger Games” birthday party, trivia doesn’t require an investment in props or game pieces. If you’ve got some paper and pens, you’re good to go. Can’t find enough writing utensils? No worries! Keep reading for other ideas.
BONUS! Trivia can can be done while social distancing!
4 Easy Ways to Use Trivia Questions at a Birthday Celebration
Consider how and when you want to include the trivia in your birthday festivities.
There’s no right or wrong way, but it’s helpful to decide before the start of the party. Some ideas that I've seen work well:
1. Ice Breaker for Guests
Have printed sheets of trivia set out near the drinks. Guests can grab a beverage, see how many items they can answer and before you know it, they're asking the person standing next them for help answering a question.
4. Trivia as Decoration
Turn trivia into decor for greater interest. Imagine a small sign on the bar that reads, "Guess what Sam's favorite cocktail is" or one on the bathroom mirror that reads, "Hey Good-looking! What celebrity do you think Sam looks like?"
Trivia can add an entertaining element to any party with a minimal investment of resources. Create questions of your own or check out our printable Birthday Trivia sheet below. We'll leave it up to you whether or not to award prizes for the most correct answers.
Speaking of birthday party decorations, have you checked out the fabulous birthday party kits and centerpieces from Birthday Butler? Delivered to your doorstep, they can be set-up in minutes and are reusable.
BIRTHDAY TRIVIA FOR A ZOOM CALL: FUN ACTIVITY
Though there aren't many places in the world where you can safely have a birthday party during a pandemic, birthday trivia works well on FaceTime, a Zoom call, Google Meeting or any other videoconferencing platform. Birthday trivia is the perfect activity for these virtual celebrations because:
- People don't need to be physically in the same room with each other
- You can distribute the trivia sheets via email/text or just pop questions into the chat window
- Everyone can easily hear the birthday person give the answers
- It's easy for the host of the virtual party to manage
The birthday banner and Celebration Stand from Birthday Butler make an appearance.
5 TIPS FOR CREATING BIRTHDAY TRIVIA QUESTIONS
Making up trivia questions for a birthday gathering is easy! Simply think of information you know about the person and then phrase it in the form of a question, just like Jeopardy.
Here are some suggestions to make your trivia questions as fun as possible:
1. Ask questions from different chapters of the Birthday Person's life-Variety is the spice of life...and the way to keep people interested in birthday trivia! If you ask only childhood questions, family members will have a distinct advantage over friends...which may cause the friends to be less engaged.
2. The more specific the question, the better-Even though birthday trivia is purely for fun, there will always be the people who are out to win and those who will are just persnickety in nature. Let's say the first question is, "Where did the Birthday Person live after college?"These are the folks who will ask, "The week after college before they moved to accept their new job in that new city...or do you want the name of the new city?"
3. Mix up some objective questions with some subjective questions-While it's fun to ask about the facts (What was their first car?), it's also interesting to get people's perspective on the Birthday Person (If the Birthday Person were an animal, what animal would they be?)
4. Have some unexpected questions to surprise the Birthday Person-Keep them on their toes too! Ask something unexpected or funny.
5. Above all else, remember: the goal of birthday trivia is to keep everyone entertained.