Just search for the desired item, enter the shipping details and, with a few clicks of auto-filled information, the present is on its way for the recipient to enjoy.
Filled with warm fuzzies? Not so much.
I recently added some personality to a few birthday gifts I ordered through Amazon and was pleasantly surprised by how positive the recipient’s reaction was. So much so, I thought it was worth sharing—especially since it was so easy!
IT'S EASY TO GET CREATIVE WITH YOUR AMAZON GIFT RECEIPT
The vessel for creativity is none other than the humble gift receipt.
To be clear, the gift receipt that Amazon provides is truly humble—no bigger than an index card, the flimsy slip of paper printed with smudgy ink seems to have been a leftover from the days when things were mimeographed.
Though the gift receipt is devoid of style, it serves an incredibly important role: it allows you to convey a personal message to the recipient as they open up your gift. All you need to do is take advantage of the opportunity.
(On a related note, save money and pass on
the gift wrap option. The shapeless bag offered isn’t worth it and often ships beside the gift, rather than containing the gift inside of it.)
TURN THE BORING GIFT RECEIPT INTO A PERSONALITY PARTY
To level set, most Amazon items will offer you the option to ‘Add Gift Receipt’ once you arrive at the Checkout screen.
In an effort to make the transaction as frictionless as possible, Amazon auto-populates the gift receipt as follows:
Enjoy your gift.
From Your Name’
While this message is certainly better than nothing, and has the benefit of being technically accurate, it's pretty basic. With just a bit of effort, you can enhance it.
HOW TO WRITE A GOOD GIFT RECEIPT
It just takes a moment to enhance Amazon’s uninspired message. You can:
- Add the person’s name
- Include the occasion you are sending the gift for
- Check how your name appears on the gift receipt. The receipt autofills with the name on the Amazon account, which might make it hard for the recipient to know who it’s from.
After these changes, the boring message improves…
Enjoy your gift.
TIPS TO WRITE A BETTER GIFT RECEIPTWith just a bit more effort, you can add a personalized message on the gift receipt. In addition to the suggestions above you can:
- Mention the gift by name (the example below refers to a Switch game that features the character Zelda)
- Include the reason why you selected it
- Replace ‘enjoy your gift’ with something more conversational
Happy 14th Birthday!
I know how much you like gaming,
so I thought you’d have fun
with these Zelda cards.
WHAT TO INCLUDE FOR THE BEST GIFT RECEIPT
As my extended family lives on the opposite coast from me, I’ve had a lot of practice writing gift receipts. I’ve usually done a variation of the example above and never really thought much about it.
I recently attempted something different for my nephew’s birthday this year. I sent him several items through Amazon and included a unique message on each gift receipt. I also tried to make them funny so that they’d make an impression.
I was so delighted when I got his thank you text: he loved my messages! Though I’d like to think I have a reasonably good sense of humor, I know the real reason he got a kick out of the gift receipts is because they were different.
To make an impression with your gift receipt, write a truly personal message to the recipient. Include the words you would say if you were standing right next to the person as they opened up the gift. Whether wisecracks or heartfelt sentiments, this is your chance to connect.
‘Happy 14th Birthday Will!
Who is this Zelda chick and why is her breath wild?!
Pls see about getting her to a doctor. STAT.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT AMAZON’S GIFT RECEIPTSHere are a few other tips to help you understand how to get the most out of your gift receipt:
- You may include up to 239 characters (9 lines of text) on each gift receipt.
- If the gift isn’t expected, or if your first name is common, it’s a good idea to include your first AND last name on the gift receipt.
- In case the recipient needs to return the item but has lost the gift receipt, the sender can easily find it in their order history.
- The recipient can send an electronic thank you. While I’m still partial to a handwritten note, an electronic thank you is better than none at all.
- You should only add the gift receipts once you’re POSITIVE that the items, quantities and shipping addresses are correct for EACH item in your cart. Should you need to leave the Checkout screen to change anything, all of your gift receipt content is lost. (Grrr! I learned this the hard way!)
INCLUDING A GIFT RECEIPT WITH YOUR AMAZON ORDER CAN MAKE THEIR BIRTHDAY HAPPIER
While Jeff Bezos and team have figured out how to get us the items we want faster than ever, only YOU can add a meaningful gift message to that order. Go ahead a take a moment or two and help that birthday gift arrive with greater impact.