Welcome to September!
This month of 30 days starts with summer and ends with fall. Along the way, many children will return to the start of a new school year. September also marks college football in full swing.
September is the most popular month to be born in, with September 9th being the most popular date to be born on. (Who knew the holidays were quite so festive?! 😉)
Keep reading to learn more about the 9th month of the year or just click on the link below to jump to that particular section:
- Birthstone of September
- Birth Flower of September
- Zodiac Signs for September
- Party Ideas for September Birthdays
- Gift Ideas Inspired by September
- Famous September Birthdays
- Famous September Quotes
September’s Birthstone: Sapphire
The birthstone of September is sapphire which boasts a deep blue color. Rather than the light blue we usually associate with the sky, this autumnal birthstone is closer in color to the night sky.
This vibrant gemstone may also occur in other colors, except for red. Instead, we call red sapphires by another name--rubies!
It is said that blue sapphires, one of the most rare gemstones, represent fidelity and sincerity. In the Middle Ages, nobility adorned their garments with sapphires to help ward off evil.
September’s Birth Flower: Asters and Morning Glories
The birth flowers of September are asters and morning glory.
Asters are a common wildflower. Similar in appearance to daisies, asters differ in that their center appears to be arranged in a star shape. It will come as no surprise then that the word “aster” is derived from Greek and means “star.”
Asters traditionally represent patience, daintiness and love. They may be found in a variety of colors, including blue, purple and pink.
Morning glories are another September birth flower. Most often found in blue and purple, they bloom in the morning and die by evening. They grow in vines and may also be called “creepers” as you may have seen their trailing vines adorning a trellis or fence.
The short-lived blooms are said to represent affection, as sometimes that fades just as quickly. The plant may also represent the sustained quality of love, as new flowers appear each day.
September’s Zodiac Signs: Virgo and Libra
The two zodiac signs of September are Virgo and Libra. People with birthdays of August 23 to September 22 are Virgos, while those born between September 23 to October 22 are Libras.
Virgo is an Earth element that has the zodiac color gray and beige. It is represented by the goddess, which reflects the urge of Virgos to use their existence for the greater good and to bring justice to people. People with this zodiac sign tend to notice the smallest details.
Virgos are said to possess the following personality traits:
- Easily disappointed
Libra is an air element that has the colors of pink and green. It is represented by the scales, which makes perfect sense since “libra” is Latin for scales. You may also recognize the Libra’s scales as Lady Justice. (Libra is the only zodiac sign to be represented by a physical object. The 11 other zodiac signs use animals or mythological creatures.)
Libras tend to seek peace and the company of others. Other personality traits include:
- IntelligentValue justice
10 Fun September Birthday Party Ideas for Adults
Technically, the first 3 weeks of September are still summer. This year, Fall starts on September 22. Depending on where you call home, September may find you still in shorts or reaching for your warm jacket.
Here are some ideas to help you celebrate:
- Host an (early) Oktoberfest party, complete with bratwursts and beer.
- Enjoy an afternoon of beverage tasting, whether that’s wine, beer or cider.
- Head to a pumpkin patch and find the prettiest pumpkins.
- Tailgate before the game of your favorite football team.
- Host an apple pie party, complete with ice cream and caramel sauce.
- Go hiking and enjoy the (possibly) brisk weather.
- Host a Farewell to Summer BBQ with all your favorites
- Host a Mexican Fiesta (click here to read our post dedicated to this topic)
- Fall-themed Girls Night-mix up a batch of cocktails, add some appetizers and scatter leaves along the table
- Host a flag football game
Unpack this Elegant Birthday Party in a Box in Under 10 Minutes
Hosting a birthday party can be fun, but if you're short on time, it can also be seriously stressful
Make celebrating a snap with a party in a box. In less than 10 minutes, you can unpack everything and be ready to celebrate with fabulous decor that will impress even your pickiest of friends!
The elegant birthday centerpiece transforms your table rom ho-hum to wow! Made of high-quality stainless steel and chrome, lush ribbons and thick card stock, it stands nearly 2 feet tall and 3 feet wide. Handcrafted in the USA, it was designed to be reusable.
Save yourself time by unpacking the party! Shop birthday in a box from Birthday Butler.
Gift Ideas Inspired by September
Here are gift ideas for those September birthdays in your life:
- A plaid scarf to ward off the upcoming chills of Fall
- Several bottles of hard cider
- Pumpkin spice candles
- A sweatshirt of their alma mater, especially if their college team is a football power house
- A jewel-toned throw for them to cozy up on the couch with
- A gorgeous wreath for their front door
- A pumpkin cheesecake
- A set of copper mugs for them to enjoy hot toddies, Moscow mules or anything else in
- A bracelet or necklace with a delicate leaf on it
- A new doormat emblazoned with fall leaves
Famous September Birthdays
Given that those born in September tend to be charming, peace-loving people, it’s no wonder there are so many famous actors, musicians and authors born this month.
Living September Birthdays
- September 1 – Lily Tomlin (actress)
- September 2 – Keanu Reeves, Salma Hayek (actors)
- September 4 – Beyonce (Lemonade maker
- September 8 – Pink (musician)
- September 9 – Hugh Grant (actor)
- September 10 – Colin Firth (actor)
- September 11 – Harry Connick Jr. (musician)
- September 13 – Tyler Perry (actor)
- September 15 – Prince Harry (royalty; start-up employee)
- September 16 – Nick Jonas (musician & AGT judge)
- September 18 – Jada Pinkett Smith (actress)
- September 19 – Jimmy Fallon (TV personality)
- September 21 – Bill Murray (actor)
- September 23 – Bruce Springsteen (the Boss)
- September 25 – Will Smith (Fresh Prince of Bel Air and more)
- September 27 – Avril Lavigne (“Complicated” singer)
- September 29 – Gywneth Paltrow (Goop-y actress)
Deceased September Birthdays
- September 7, 1533 – England’s first Queen Elizabeth
- September 9, 1890 – Col Sanders of KFC fame
- September 13, 1916 – Roald Dahl, children’s author
- September 15, 1890 – Agatha Christie, novelist
- September 16, 1924 – Lauren Bacall, actress
- September 18, 1905 – Greta Garbo, actress
- September 22, 1791 – Michael Faraday, chemist and physicist
- September 23, 1838 – Victoria Woodhull, 1st woman candidate for US president
- September 24, 1936 – Jim Henson, master Muppeteer
- September 25, 1930 – Shel Silverstein, children’s author
Famous Quotes about September
A fun idea is to include one of these quotes in a September birthday card or just enjoy them now!
September tries its best to have us forget summer.
Wine is the divine juice of September.
My favorite poem is the one that starts, ‘Thirty days hath September’ because it actually tells you something.
Happily we bask in this warm September sun, which illuminates all creatures.
Henry David Thoreau
Helen Hunt Jackson