Welcome to October!
In many parts of the US, the tenth month of the year is when autumn really kicks into gear. The falling leaves and cooler weather mean it's time to get those sweaters and jackets out.
Halloween occurs on October 31st. This holiday may be a spook-tacular event, a scary time or an opportunity to indulge in your favorite candy. (When my kids used to go trick or treating, they always “gifted” me any candy that had coconut.)
Keep reading to learn more about the very colorful month of October or just click on the link below to jump to that particular section:
- Birthstone of October
- Birth Flower of October
- Zodiac Signs for October
- Party Ideas for October Birthdays
- Perfect October birthday decor
- Gift Ideas Inspired by October
- Famous October Birthdays
- Famous October Quotes
October’s Birthstones: Opal and Tourmaline
The traditional birthstone of October is the opal. Pale and somewhat milky in color, it diffracts light, so may appear to have many other shades within. Opals are said to symbolize purity, hope and confidence.
The modern birthstone is the tourmaline. One crystal of tourmaline may contain several different colors, including green, pink, red and blue. Tourmalines represent compassion and healing energies.
October’s Birth Flower: Cosmos and Marigolds
The birth flowers of October are Cosmos and Marigolds.
Cosmos are lovely flowers that are similar to daisies in appearance. The distinction is in the petals: cosmos petals are shorter and wider and daisy petals are longer and narrower.
Cosmos are said to represent balance and harmony. This can be seen in the flower itself as its delicate petals are evenly spaced. You’ll most often see cosmos in white, pink or lavender.
Marigolds are easy-to-grow ornamentals. Known for their vibrant colors, they’re most often seen in orange, yellow and gold.
When used as a birth flower, marigolds are said to symbolize the power of the rising sun, prosperity, and passion.
If you’re thinking, “Haven’t I seen marigolds at the Day of the Dead?” You’re right!
In Mexican culture, it is believed that marigolds help guide the dearly departed to their altars. It’s interesting to note that the marigolds used in these Mexican celebrations are significantly larger--up to 3 feet across! --than ones seen in the US.
October’s Zodiac Signs: Libra and Scorpio
The two zodiac signs of October are Libra and Scorpio. People with birthdays of September 23 to October 22 are Libras, and those born on October 23 to November 21st are Scorpios.
Libra is an air element that has the colors of pink and green. It is represented by the scales, which makes perfect sense since “libra” is Latin for scales. You may also recognize the Libra’s scales as Lady Justice. (Libra is the only zodiac sign to be represented by a physical object. The 11 other zodiac signs use animals or mythological creatures.)
Libras tend to seek peace and the company of others. Other personality traits include:
- Value justice
Scorpio is a water sign that has the colors of red and rust. It is represented by the scorpion and is said to feel emotions intensely and lash out if threatened.
Scorpios tend to be passionate truth seekers who often have a mysterious side. Other personality traits include:
10 Fun October Birthday Party Ideas for Adults
October is a great month for a birthday party! In most parts of the US, the weather is cool, but not cold.
Here are some birthday party ideas to help you celebrate October birthdays:
- Set the stage with beers and bratwursts for a fun Oktoberfest-themed party
- Go beer tasting, cider tasting or wine tasting
- Host a pumpkin-carving party with pumpkin martinis
- Road trip to see some fall foliage and enjoy the gorgeous colors
- Host a Pumpkin Spice Party and serve pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup...
- Pack a picnic basket and hike up your favorite trail
- Host a Mexican Fiesta (click here to read our post dedicated to this topic). After all, Taco Day is October 4th!
- Get tickets for a football game and have a birthday tailgating party.
- Don costumes for an early Halloween party
- Go apple picking and have a pie making party
The Perfect Party Decoration for an October Birthday
Celebrate their fall birthday with the Most Pumpkin-y centerpiece! In under 5 minutes, you can transform your table or kitchen island with party décor they’ll love.
Made of high-quality stainless steel and chrome, lush ribbons and thick card stock, it stands nearly 2 feet tall and 3 feet wide. Handcrafted in the USA, it was designed to be reusable.
The Most Pumpkin-y birthday decoration!
Gift Ideas Inspired by October
Here are ten gift ideas for the October birthdays in your life:
- Several bottles of German beer
- Tickets to an Oktoberfest celebration
- A fall foliage road trip
- Tickets to a college football game
- A jewel-toned blanket
- Candles for their fireplace mantle
- A leaf-adorned apron
- Pie dishes and baking spatulas
- Gift cards to a streaming service for “It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown”
- A cozy sweatshirt from their favorite team
Famous October Birthdays
Given that those born in October tend to be passionate truth-seekers, it’s no wonder there are so many famous figures born this month!
Living October Birthdays
- October 1 – Julie Andrews (actress)
- October 2 – Sting (musician)
- October 3 – Gwen Stefani (musician)
- October 4 – Liev Schreiber (actress)
- October 7 – Simon Cowell (TV personality)
- October 8 – Jesse Jackson (civil rights leader)
- October 10 – Bret Favre (football player)
- October 11 – Steve Young (football player)
- October 14 – Ralph Lauren (fashion icon)
- October 15 – Penny Marshall (actress, director)
- October 18 – Martina Navratilova (tennis player)
- October 19 – Jimmy Fallon (TV personality)
- October 21 – Bill Murray (actor)
- October 23 – Pele (soccer star)
- October 25 – Katy Perry (musician)
- October 28 – Bill Gates (technologist and philanthropist)
- October 31 – Jane Pauley, journalist
Deceased October Birthdays
- October 5, 1902 – Ray Kroc, McDonald’s Founder
- October 14, 1644 – Dwight D. Eisenhower, former US president
- October 14, 1894 – e.e. cummings, poet
- October 17, 1918 – Rita Hayworth, actress
- October 20, 1931 – Mickey Mantle, baseball player
- October 23, 1925 – Johnny Carson, TV personality
- October 25, 1881 – Pablo Picasso, artist
- October 27, 1872 – Emily Post, etiquette expert
- October 30, 1735 – John Adams, US president
- October 31, 1795 – John Keats, poet
Famous Quotes about October
Include one of these quotes in an October birthday card or just enjoy them now!
"I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."
"I have been younger in October than in all the months of spring."
“All things on earth point home in old October; sailors to sea, travellers to walls and fences, hunters to field and hollow and the long voice of the hounds, the lover to the love he has forsaken.”
“October is the fallen leaf, but it is also a wider horizon more clearly seen. It is the distant hills once more in sight, and the enduring constellations above them once again.”
"October is the opal month of the year. It is the month of glory, of ripeness. It is the picture-month."
Henry Ward Beecher
“October, the extravagant sister, has ordered an immense amount of the most gorgeous forest tapestry for her grand reception."
Oliver Wendell Holmes