Welcome to December! 🥳
The 12th month of the year is best known for two of the most festive holidays of all: Hanukkah and Christmas. The first day of winter also occurs in December.
Know someone born in the last month of the year? Don’t let their birthday go unnoticed just because it’s a very busy month.
(Most December birthdays I know would prefer to have their birthday in a different month...alas, there's no changing the date you were born!)
Keep reading to learn more about the month of December or just click on the link below to jump to that section:
- Birthstones of December
- Birth Flower of December
- Zodiac Signs for December
- Party Ideas for December Birthdays
- Perfect December birthday decor
- Gift Ideas Inspired by December
- Famous December Birthdays
- Famous December Quotes
December Birthstones: Tanzanite, Zircon, Turquoise
December has not one, not two, but THREE birthstones—each a different shade of blue!
Tanzanite is the most valuable of December’s birthstones. It is noteworthy for its deep blue color with purple overtones. It is said that the wearer will experience the feeling of contentment and understanding.
Turquoise is another December birthstone, and it is one of the oldest gems to be used in jewelry. It is one of the only birthstones that is opaque and not translucent. Native Americans and other ancient civilizations believed that turquoise could ward off evil.
December’s third birthstone is a light blue zircon. It’s a common stone found in the Earth’s crust. It is associated with prosperity and helping achieve one’s desires.
December’s Birth Flowers: Holly, Narcissus
The birth flowers of December are Holly and Narcissus.
Holly is a shrub that embodies Christmas colors. It has shiny green leaves that are very sharp to the touch and bright red berries that can be toxic to humans. Holly is often used in Christmas wreaths and other holiday decorations. Holly is said to bring happiness to one’s home front.
Narcissus, also called paperwhites, are bulbs that bloom into delicate white flowers. It symbolizes sweetness and a desire to remain true.
December’s Zodiac Signs: Sagittarius and Capricorn
The two zodiac signs of December are Sagittarius and Capricorn. People with birthdays of November 22nd to December 21st are said to be under the sign of Sagittarius, while those born from December 22 to January 19th are Capricorns.
Sagittarius is a fire element whose symbol is a bow and arrow. It is represented by the centaur of mythology whose upper body is human, and lower body is horse.
Sagittarius are said to be the wanderers of the zodiac (guess its horse legs come in handy!). Other personality traits include:
- Risk takers
Capricorn is an earth sign element that has the colors of brown and grey. It is represented by the sea goat, a creature with the tail of a fish and the body of a goat. This duality allows Capricorns to navigate both sea (emotional world) and land (physical world) with ease.
Capricorns make great friends that you can count on. Other personality traits include:
10 Fun December Birthday Party Ideas for Adults
December is a great month for a birthday party!
(I know you've got LOTS going on in December...but think how happy you'll make the birthday person when you have a party in their honor! 🥳 )
Here are some birthday party ideas to help you celebrate December birthdays:
- Get tickets to a basketball game and cheer on your favorite team
- Host a schnapps and spirits tasting party
- Schedule an ice-skating party
- Host a Mexican Fiesta (click here to read our post dedicated to this topic).
- Get tickets for a football game and have a birthday tailgating party.
- Have a birthday brunch
- Host a night at the museum (art, space, or whatever you please)
- Rent snowmobiles and tour the countryside
- Host a karaoke party (NO Christmas carols allowed! 😉 )
- Organize a game night
The Perfect Party Decoration for December Birthdays
Celebrate their December birthday with this birthday party kit. In under 5 minutes, you can transform your table or kitchen island with party décor they’ll love.
They'll notice the birthday centerpiece the moment they walk in the room! Made of high-quality stainless steel and chrome, lush ribbons and thick card stock, it stands nearly 2 feet tall and 3 feet wide. Handcrafted in the USA, it was designed to be reusable.
Gift Ideas Inspired by December
Here are ten gift ideas for the December birthdays in your life:
- Several bottles of schnapps or their favorite spirit
- Tickets to see a musical group perform
- A road trip to take in the snowy splendor
- Tickets to a college football game
- A cozy blanket
- Candles for their fireplace mantle
- A pizza making kit
- A cookbook of their favorite cuisine
- Movie night passes, complete with popcorn and drinks
- A class to help them develop a new skill—painting, cooking, glassblowing, coding...
Famous December Birthdays
Given that those born in December tend to be creative and responsible, it’s no wonder there are so many famous figures born this month!
Living December Birthdays
- December 2 – Britney Spears (musician)
- December 4 – Tyra Banks (model)
- December 4 – Jeff Bridges (actor)
- December 7 – Larry Bird (athlete)
- December 9 – Judi Dench (actress)
- December 10 – Bobby Flay (chef)
- December 13 – Taylor Swift (musician)
- December 17 – Eugene Levy (actor)
- December 18 – Brad Pitt (actor)
- December 21 – Jane Fonda (actress)
- December 22 – Diane Sawyer (journalist)
- December 28 – John Legend (musician)
- December 30 – Lebron James (athlete)
Deceased December Birthdays
- December 5 – Walt Disney (cartoonist)
- December 10 – Emily Dickinson (poet)
- December 10 - Ada Lovelace (mathematician; developed first computer software)
- December 12 – Frank Sinatra (musician)
- December 14 – Shirley Jackson (author)
- December 16 – Beethoven (composer)
- December 16 – Jane Austen (author)
- December 25 – Sir Isaac Newton (scientist)
- December 25 – Humphrey Bogart (actor)
- December 27 – Louis Pasteur (scientist)
- December 31 – Donna Summer (singer)
- December 31 – Diane Von Furstenberg (designer)
- December 31 – Henri Matisse (artist)
Famous Quotes about December
Include one of these quotes in a December birthday card or just enjoy them now!
Another idea is to combine one of the famous birthdays above with one of the quotes below:
For instance you could gift your husband/boyfriend/significant other a book of romantic poetry by December-born poet Jane Austen and inscribe the first quote on the inside cover. Ah, romance! 🥰
“Some people are worth melting for.”
“God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December.”
James M. Barrie
“To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake it is necessary to stand out in the cold.”
“Kindness is like snow—it beautifies everything it covers.”
“Of all the months of the year there is not a month one half so welcome to the young, or so full of happy associations, as the last month of the year.”