Welcome to August!
This summer month of 31 days is a favorite of many because of the longer daylight hours and sunny weather.
I was born in August and grew up in NJ where school typically starts the day after Labor Day. I always wished that I could bring in cupcakes to share like my classmates who had birthdays during the school year. But enough about me! 😀
Keep reading to learn more about the 8th month of the year or just click on the link below to jump to that particular section:
- Birthstone of August
- Birth Flower of August
- Zodiac Signs for August
- Party Ideas for Summer Birthdays
- Gift Ideas Inspired by Summer
- Famous August Birthdays
- Famous August Quotes
August’s Birthstone: Peridot
The birthstone of August is peridot, which boasts a light green color. Dubbed the “gem of the Sun”, this gemstone is said to have special healing powers.
Associated with restful sleep, harmony, peacefulness, and good health, peridot is said to be a stone of compassion that relieves anger through the renewal of things. Some say this birthstone gives protection from nightmares and freedom from envious thoughts that may put a strain on relationships.
August’s Birth Flower: Gladiolus and Poppy
The birth flower of August is the gladiolus. Its tall, proud stalks with many flowers make others look like waifs by comparison. The gladiolas symbolize integrity, respect, strength.
The poppy is another birth flower of August. They come in a variety of colors, with each color representing a different sentiment:
- Red poppies-happiness
- Yellow poppies-prosperity
- White poppies-sympathy
- Purple poppies-allure
August’s Zodiac Signs: Leo and Virgo
The two zodiac signs of August are Leo and Virgo. People with birthdays of July 23 to August 22 are Leos, while those born between August 23 to September 22 are Virgos.
Leo is a fire element which is represented by the colors yellow and orange. Its zodiac symbol is a lion that perfectly suits the passionate and self-confident nature of Leos. People with this zodiac sign are known to be generous, loyal, and warmhearted.
Here are some traits of people born under the sign of Leo:
- Born leaders
- May be demanding
Virgo is an Earth element that has the zodiac color gray and beige. It is represented by the goddess, which reflects the urge of Virgos to use their existence for the greater good and to bring justice to people. People with this zodiac sign tend to notice the smallest details.
Virgos are said to possess the following personality traits:
- Easily disappointed
(I mentioned earlier that I was born this month. I’m a Leo and most of the traits of this zodiac sign ring true, though like Virgos, I am very prone to overthink things!)
10 Fun August Birthday Party Ideas for Adults
Given August is a summer month, take advantage of the great outdoors!
- Host a pool party
- Host an ice cream social**, complete with all the toppings
- Rent a beach house
- Have a backyard BBQ
- Go to a drive-in movie
- Go mini golfing. Offer prizes to those who make a hole in one,
- Go kayaking or whitewater rafting. Let the birthday person decide if they sit in the front, or the back.
- Host a Mexican Fiesta
- Have kabobs + s'mores around the campfire. Your call whether you sing Happy Birthday before or after Home on the Range.
- Pack a picnic basket and some blankets and loll about on a summer day
(**For the record, I’ve never attended an ice cream social, but a well-named gathering can elevate the occasion.)
Unpack this Elegant Birthday Party in a Box in Under 10 Minutes
Hosting a birthday party can be fun, but if you're short on time, it can also be seriously stressful
Make celebrating a snap with a party in a box. In less than 10 minutes, you can unpack everything and be ready to celebrate with fabulous decor that will impress even your pickiest of friends!
The elegant birthday centerpiece transforms your table rom ho-hum to wow! Made of high-quality stainless steel and chrome, lush ribbons and thick card stock, it stands nearly 2 feet tall and 3 feet wide. Handcrafted in the USA, it was designed to be reusable.
10 August Gift Ideas Inspired by Summer
- Gift them several bottles of summer beers or wines.
- Fresh new pool towels and a floatie or two.
- Kayaking lessons
- A pedicure for the prettiest toes and some fun flip flops
- A gorgeous new tote bag they can use at the Farmer’s Market
- Pints of ice cream and toppings
- A pretty plant in a pretty planter
- A window-washing service so all the sun can shine in
- Rent a convertible for the week so they can drive with the top down.
- A fabulous new hat (may come in handy in the convertible!)
A dear friend gifted me this beautiful planter and filled with two of my most favorite foods--licorice and cucumbers.
Famous August Birthdays
Given that those born in August tend to have bold personalities, it’s no wonder there are so many familiar names born this month. Peruse the list below and see if anyone you know shares a birthday with someone famous.
You'll find not one, not two, but THREE U.S presidents who were born in August!
Living August Birthdays
- August 3rd - Tony Bennett, singer
- August 3rd - Martha Stewart, businesswoman,
- August 4th - Barack Obama, 44th U.S. President
- August 4th - Meghan Markle, model, actress, Duchess of Sussex
- August 5th - Patrick Ewing, NBA basketball player
- August 7th - Charlize Theron, Oscar winning actress
- August 8th - Shawn Mendes, Canadian singer and songwriter
- August 9th - Melanie Griffith, actress
- August 10th - Betsey Johnson, fashion designer
- August 11th - Stephen Wozniak, co-founder of Apple Computer
- August 14th - Steve Martin, comedian, actor, writer
- August 14th - Danielle Steel, romance novelist
- August 14th - Halle Berry, actress
- August 14th - Tim Tebow, football and baseball player
- August 15th - Jennifer Lawrence, American actress
- August 16th- Madonna, singer
- August 19th - Bill Clinton,42nd U.S. President
- August 25th - Tim Burton, director
- August 25th - Billy Ray Cyrus, country singer
- August 28th - Shania Twain, country singer
- August 28th - Jason Priestley, actor
- August 28th - LeAnn Rimes, country singer
- August 30th - Cameron Diaz, actress
Deceased August Birthdays
- August 1, 1936 - Yves Saint Laurent, fashion designer
- August 1, 1818 - Maria Mitchell, first U.S. female astronomer
- August 4, 1900 - Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother of England
- August 5, 1930 - Neil Armstrong, first man who stepped on the moon
- August 6, 1911 - Lucille Ball, actress
- August 6, 1881 - Sir Alexander Fleming, discovered penicillin
- August 6, 1928 - Andy Warhol, artist
- August 8, 1866 - Matthew Henson, first African-American Arctic explorer
- August 9, 1963 - Whitney Houston, singer, actress
- August 13, 1899 - Alfred Hitchcock, English film director
- August 13, 1860 - Annie Oakley, American sharpshooter and exhibition shooter
- August 15, 1912 - Julia Child, author
- August 17, 1786 - Davy Crockett, American folk hero and politician
- August 19, 1883 - Coco Chanel, fashion designer
- August 19, 1919 - Malcolm Forbes, publisher
- August 20, 1833 - Benjamin Harrison, 23rd U.S. President
- August 22, 1893 - Dorothy Parker, writer
- August 23, 1978 - Kobe Bryant, NBA basketball player
- August 27, 1908 - Lyndon Baines Johnson, 36th U.S. President
Famous Quotes about August
A fun idea is to include one of these quotes in an August birthday card or just enjoy them now!
“Remember to be gentle with yourself and others. We are all children of chance and none can say why some fields will blossom while others lay brown beneath the August sky.”
“Today is the first of August. It is hot, steamy and wet. It is raining. I am tempted to write a poem. But I remember what it said on one rejection slip: 'After a heavy rainfall, poems titled 'Rain' pour in from across the nation.”
Summer afternoon, summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.
“This morning, the sun endures past dawn. I realise that it is August: the summer's last stand.”
“August was nearly over - the month of apples and falling stars, the last care-free month for the school children. The days were not hot, but sunny and limpidly clear - the first sign of advancing autumn.”
“August is that last flicker of fun and heat before everything fades and dies. The final moments of fun before the freeze. In the winter, everything changes.”