Welcome to May!
Here are some things that you need to know about the 5th month of the year:
- There are 31 days in the month of May.
- A symbol of love and rebirth, emerald is the birthstone for May. This rare gemstone has a rich green color that has a radiant vivid tone. In the Middle Ages, emerald was believed to have the power to predict the future.
- The birth flower of May is lily of the valley. This flower symbolizes purity, humility, chastity, sweetness, and motherhood. If you intend to give flowers to your mom on her birthday, the Lily of the Valley is the perfect gift!
The Zodiac Signs for May
People who are born in the month of May are either Taurus or Gemini. Taurus covers April 20 to May 20, while Gemini is from May 21 to June 20.
Taurus, which is an Earth sign, has pink and green as its colors and is represented by a bull. A Taurus is known to have a practical, grounded, and realistic perspective. They find it easy to make money and stay committed with tasks for a long time or until they are done.
Here are some traits Taureans possess:
- Can be very stubborn, yet responsible
- Are enthusiastic, determined, and reliable
- Approach things methodically
- Are loyal to their relationships
- Stay organized and handle things well
Yellow is the zodiac color of Gemini and its zodiac symbol is the twins, Castor and Polydeuces, which explains the said ‘dual nature’ of the Geminis. People who have this zodiac sign are known to be flexible, to the point they can seem to have “two” different personalities. They are open-minded and versatile, which makes their character interesting.
Here are the other traits Geminis have:
- Are very passionate, smart, and dynamic
- Adept at blending into different kinds of groups
- Have the ability to always look at the bright side
- Are not afraid to voice their thoughts if they disagree with people
- Have the ability to read the emotion inside the room and adjust to it
Famous May Birthdays
Since people born in May are either Taureans and Geminis, it is said that it is innate in them to have the enthusiasm, intelligence, and passion to do the things that they want. So, it is not surprising to find out that some of the intelligent and skilled people, among them many writers and artists, that we know today are born in the month of May.
Living May Birthdays include:
May 2nd - Dwayne Johnson, actor
May 2nd - David Beckham, soccer star
May 6th - George Clooney, actor
May 8th - Enrique Iglesias, singer
May 13th - Stevie Wonder, singer
May 13th - Dennis Rodman, NBA basketball player
May 16th - Pierce Brosnan, actor
May 20th - Cher, singer
Deceased May Birthdays include:
May 2, 1903 - Dr. Benjamin Spock, physician/author
May 3, 1469 - Niccolò Machiavelli, Renaissance writer
May 4, 1929 - Audrey Hepburn, actress
May 5, 1818 - Karl Marx, socialist
May 5, 1864 - Nellie Bly, journalist
May 6, 1856 - Sigmund Freud, psychiatrist
May 8, 1884 - Harry S. Truman, U.S. President
May 9, 1860 - James Matthew Barrie, creator of Peter Pan
May 11, 1904 - Salvador Dali, artist
May 12, 1820 - Florence Nightingale, founder of modern nursing
May 20, 1844 - Henri Rousseau, painter
May 26, 1951 - Sally Ride, first American woman in space
May 29, 1903 - Bob Hope, comedian
Use Famous Birthdays as Gift Ideas
If you have no idea of what to give your loved ones or colleagues, you may take inspiration for good gift ideas from birthdays of famous people!
- Know the person’s birthdate
- Look for their "birthday twin", a person who has the same birthday as they do.
- Think of a gift that they will love, which is their birthday twin can also relate.
- Write a down to inform them about the connection
For example, your son, who loves playing soccer, is celebrating his birthday on May 2.
Why don’t you give him a gift inspired by his birthday twin, David Beckham? You can give him a soccer ball to practice his skills!
Include a note saying:
“Two gorgeous men are celebrating their birthdays today: you and David Beckham! May this ball be a reminder that you are a young man destined to achieve your goals!. Happy birthday my dear son!”
May 1 - May Day
May 5 - Cinco de Mayo
May 10 - Mother’s Day
May 24 - Eid al-Fitr
May 25 - Memorial Day
Famous Quotes about May
“At last came the golden month of the wild folk-- honey-sweet May, when the birds come back, and the flowers come out, and the air is full of the sunrise scents and songs of the dawning year.”
― Samuel Scoville Jr.
“And a bird overhead sang Follow,
And a bird to the right sang Here;
And the arch of the leaves was hollow,
And the meaning of May was clear.”
― Algernon Charles Swinburne
“May, more than any other month of the year, wants us to feel most alive.”
― Fennel Hudson